12 Steps to Storing a Flat Screen TV
All Storage Online | March 28, 2019 @ 12:00 AM
Is it time to put your flat screen TV into storage? Our sleek, ultra-thin and ultra-fancy televisions pose a unique set of challenges when it comes to packing, moving and storing. They’re fragile, they’re awkward to lift and they come with all sorts of extra parts and equipment. Your flat screen TV is your portal to the Super Bowl, the Grammy Awards and binge watching shows on lazy weekend mornings. Storing it incorrectly could mean losing access to all that—and what are you going to do, wait until Black Friday rolls around again so you can buy another 72-inch flat screen TV?
Fortunately, storing your flat screen TV only looks hard; it’s actually not a terribly complicated process. Here are the exact steps you need to take:
- Remove the cables, TV stand and disconnect everything.
- Use canned air to free up dust from the TV.
- Wipe cables clean with a damp cloth followed by a dry, microfiber cloth.
- Repeat the above cleaning process with the TV itself.
- Wrap the TV in bubble wrap, electronics cushion or a moving blanket. Avoid wrapping it in anything that might scratch the screen, such as newspaper.
- Purchase the right sized box for storing your TV from All Storage. This box should be large enough for the TV, but it should also have a little extra space (about enough to slide your finger into) for cushioning.
- Slide the TV into the box (you may need help with this if you have a really big flat screen TV).
- Wrap the outside of the box with bubble wrap for extra protection.
- Clearly label which side is the top and front of the TV.
- Store any cables, wires and other equipment in a separate, labeled box.
- Drive the TV to your new storage unit at All Storage. Keep it upright and secure in your car. If you’ve chosen a facility that offers EZ Drive-Thru storage, you can actually drive your vehicle right into the fully enclosed facility and park outside of your unit. Make sure you’ve chosen a storage unit with climate control, as electronics require this.
- Carefully lift the box containing your flat screen TV and place it in the back of your storage unit. Always store it upright in the position it would be in if it were in your home. Take a good look at the other items you’ve stored around the TV. Ask yourself: if these items were to fall, would they land on the TV? If the answer is yes, move things around to ensure this doesn’t happen.
- Store the box containing the TV’s cables and other accessories near the TV itself.
Have questions about best practices for storing your flat screen TV? Need to find the right box for it or the right cushioning to keep it safe? Stop by the the office at your All Storage facility and get advice, browse on-site retail and get the tools you need to keep your flat screen TV in great shape for years of movie nights, reality dating show marathons and everything else.